Subject: Re: Alpha 21064 vs. Pentium Pro
From: [email-masked] (Andrew Weiler)
To: The LightWave mailing list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 09:54:47 -0500

>> So now I'm confused. Does anyone have any experience with a Pentium Pro
>> running LightWave? Is it really that fast?
>> 
>> Thanks in advance for any replies.
>> 
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------
>> /\ndre Perusse - [email-masked]
>> ANIMAX MULTIMEDIA, INC. 

It looks like my company will be buying an Intergraph TDZ 300 within the
next week or so, at which time I'll post a full review including LW
benchmarks. We decided to stick with Intel for a few reasons: 

1. Support. You can always expect the best support to go to the biggest
installed base. NewTek's support for Mips and Alpha have been less than
stellar. If plugin developers have a choice, they'll opt for Intel, and at
the very least the Intel versions are the first to come out. 

2. Applications. We don't have to change our current versions of Photoshop
and other Intel software. 

3. Softimage. Support for SI seems to be best on the Intel platform, and
with Intergraph especially.

4. Multiprocessors. The TDZ's support multiple parallel CPU's. Although
neither SI nor LW are threaded at the moment, you can expect them to be in
the near future.

I'm sure there are other criteria, but these were the clinchers for us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Weiler               The Animation Machine Inc.
Animator                           Atlanta, GA
                                            [email-masked]

"If it's not one thing it's your Mother"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

--- From the LightWave mailing list <[email-masked]> --------
--- This message posted by:  [email-masked] (Andrew Weiler)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- For information, send e-mail to:  [email-masked] --------
--- Message should include the phrase INFO LIGHTWAVE on a line by itself ---